Utica Proud | College Edition, Volume One is now available in the Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Museum Gift shop. The collaborative project showcases Utica from a college student point of view. Created by PrattMWP Communications design students, it features thirty stories accompanied by original photography and illustration celebrating the past, present, and potential of our city. Limited supplies – pick yours up today!
Double click E-Book below to see full size
Or you can check a copy out from the Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute Library.
Historic Rutger Park Mansions
The Lost Park of Beautiful Victorian Houses
In the Historic district of Utica, Rutger Street contains 63 Victorian Italian style buildings and houses. The most important and highly acclaimed historical building reside in the private park, called Rutger Park. These 5 secluded building represent the Elitist Utican society in the 1800’s, demonstrating the wealth and the exquisite architecture of the buildings.
Munn’s Castle, the first building in the historical complex, is most well know and regarded by the citizens of Utica and the States. Built in 1852, this “castle” was designed by one of the most well renown architects of the Italian Gothic Era, Alexander Jackson Davis. His work includes: the US Customs House in NYC, The Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford CT, and the Lyndhurst in Tarrytown, NY. The house was designed in the Italianate style, but was considered an Irregular Villa. The Italianate Style can be categorized into many styles of buildings designed by Davis. Davis’s architectural plan of the home can be found at the MET. The home attracted rich families to Utica and was itself residential before 1950. But in 1950, it became a nursing facility, and then abandoned. Munn’s Castle represented the hight of the Gothic Era, and exemplified the genius of the Architect who built it.
Ruscoe Conkling House
The Ruscoe Conkling House, is the third building and significant historical importance in Rutger Park. Built in the 1830, this building was designed and built by architect, Philip Hooker in the Greek Revival style. It was originally named the “Miller-Conkling-Kernan House”, and completed by the Miller family during its construction. The first owner, Roscoe Conkling purchased and moved into the home in 1863. At that time, Mr. Conkling was a powerful and controversial politician, he lead the angry outbursts that became the assassination of President James Garfeild. The original hip roofed brick house was covered with grey stucco to look like rock. The building soon changed after that and had ongoing renovations by the new owner, Nicholas Kernan; he added a two story East wing, a porch, dormer and chimney tops. More recently, the building was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1975, and in 2005 was listed for sale. The Ruscoe Conkling House represented the glory of the Greek Revival style in the American Victorian Era.
Congratulations to PrattMWP’s TEAM UP for taking home first place in the 2017 AIGA Student Challenge – Design for Good. See our Utica Proud post for more information about the challenge. The team consisted of Joe Owens, Becky DeCusatis, Logan Patenaude, and Bridget Swayne. You can view more details about the project [here]
Utica Proud AIGA Upstate Student Design Challenge
from Logan Patenaude